Max. Altitude2700 m
Type of ToursTrekking
Description: The two day Inca Trail is a shortened version of the traditional 4 day trail designed for those who lack time, but nevertheless wish to experience the famous Inca paths and visit Machu Picchu in a distinct and unique manner. This short, 12 km Inca Trail gives you the opportunity to experience lush misty forests, subtropical jungle, the magnificent stonework of the Inca paths, agriculture, terraces, streams of water, tunnels, and impressive archaeological sites like the famous Sun Door. This trip is ideal for those who appreciate the peace and quiet that only nature can provide.
- Tour type: Hiking, camping, adventure, history, and culture.
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Starting Altitude: 2100 m / 6900 ft
- Maximum Altitude: 2730 m / 8792 ft
- Distance Traveled: 12 km /7.4 miles
- Departures: Subject to availability
Remember there is a student discount available for entrance tickets to Machu Picchu (ask us about this option)
We begin this incredible adventure very early by picking you up from your hotel between 4 and 4:30 am, at which point we will drive to the train station found in the town of Ollantaytambo (approx. 2 hours of travel) and take the touristic train until Km. 104 (approx. 1 hour and 20 minutes of travel). At this point you will be met by your guide and register at the Inca Trail checkpoint. You will then begin the first section of the hike, which takes 3 hours and takes you to Wiñayhuayna (“Forever Young”) at 2600 m / 8530 ft. You will have time to explore the ruins and the guide will provide you with a helpful explanation of their history and importance, after which you will have time to enjoy a packed lunch.
The hike continues for 2 more hours towards the Inti Punk (Sun Gate), from which you can experience and excellent panoramic view of the citadel of Machu Picchu. After photos and a brief introduction provided by your guide, you will walk for 45 more minutes towards the citadel, where you will have a brief time in which to take some of the traditional Machu Picchu photos and enjoy the site. Afterwards we will need to leave Machu Picchu to take the bus down to Aguas Calientes (30 minutes of travel), where we will go to the hostel where you can take a shower, rest, and recharge for the next day’s activities. Dinner at a local restaurant is included.
Note: For the early morning pickup, you will need to book a hotel in the historical city center, as most AirBnB’s don’t have a name and/or lack addresses that can be found easily, and many of them are located far away from the city center. Otherwise we can arrange a specific meeting point.
We will begin our ascent to Machu Picchu very early in the morning (4:30 am) so as to see the sunrise from the Inca city (this moderate hike take approx. 1 hour and 30 minutes). You can also choose to take the bus ($12 each way – not included) and you must take the first bus to be able to arrive at Machu Picchu by 6 am. Once at Machu Picchu your guide will provide you with a guided tour that lasts approx. 2 hours (remember that the guided tour is for the whole group). During this tour you will have opportunities to explore the main sites (Intihuatana, The Sacred Plaza, The Temple of the Sun, The Temple of the Condor), and learn more about the history of this hidden architectural wonder. At the end of the guided tour you will have a couple more hours to explore Machu Picchu at your own pace and really take in the Inca citadel’s unique atmosphere.
If you were able to purchase an entry to Huayna Picchu of Machu Picchu Mountain you will also have the opportunity to scale one of these mountains (remember that availability is limited by the government and the Ministry of Culture. Climbing Huayna Picchu takes 2 hours, and Machu Picchu Mountain requires 3). The time spent at Machu Picchu depends greatly on whether or not you decide to climb one of these mountains. After our time at the citadel we will need to return to Aguas Calientes, where you can eat lunch at a location of your choosing before we begin our return journey. After lunch we will take the train back to Ollantaytambo (2 hours of travel), and from there go by car back to Cusco (approx. 2 hours) where we will arrive in the evening.
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
- Entrance ticket for the Inca Trail
- Informational talk provided by your guide at your hotel, one night before the hike
- Pickup from your hotel and transportation from Cusco to Ollantaytambo
- Professional bilingual guide
- Guided tour of Machu Picchu
- Meals: 1 breakfast, 1 lunch, 1 dinner
- Bus ticket from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes (Day 1)
- 1 night in a hostel in Aguas Calientes
- Vegetarian or Vegan food available upon prior request for no additional charge
- First aid kit and oxygen tank
- Train ticket from Ollantaytambo – km 104 (start of the trail)
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo
- Transportation from Ollantaytambo to Cusco
Does not include
- Breakfast on the first day
- Lunch on the second day. Can eat out in Aguas Calientes (10-30 soles)
- Walking sticks, recommended for this route ($15 to rent)
- Travel insurance
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountains ($65)
- Misc. costs and tips (optional)
- Original passport
- Students: student ID if you wish to obtain the discounted entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
- Light backpack
- Walking sticks: recommended for those with knee or ankle problems or hikers used to using them. If you don’t have one, you can rent a pair from us for $15 for the whole hike.
- Hat for the sun
- 2 shirts (preferably long sleeve)
- 2 pairs of long trousers (leggings are also appropriate)
- Walking shoes
- 2 pairs of wool socks
- A rain jacket is important, especially in the rainy season (you can also buy a rain poncho)
- 1 small towel
- Sun glasses
- Sun block
- A water bottle or canteen
- Tooth brush and other personal items
- Toilet paper
- Insect repellent
- Sandals or flip flops
- Bathing suit
- Snacks, such as: chocolate, granola bars, sweets, dried fruits, energy bars, etc.
- Extra cash in soles
- The price is based on double occupancy, includes all taxes and fees.
- Individual occupation available at an additional cost.
- Ask us about special discounts for groups if you travel with 3 or more people
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of our reservation.
- This tour begins in Cusco, the hostel / hotel pickup is included for accommodation located in the center of the city of Cusco.
- The tour has no set exits, you can choose your own start date (subject to availability)
- The name, number, expiration and country of the passport are required at the time of reservation for all participants Huayna Picchu /
- Machu Picchu Mountain Hike available at an additional cost.
- $ 20 discount for students with a valid ID card from the university / university You must bring an ID with you on the Inca Trail.
- We take care of all diets, please let us know your diets. Equipment such as trekking poles can be rented at an additional cost.
The Inca Trail is the only tour in Peru that is not reimbursable. Be sure to confirm the correct dates when you make the purchase. As the Inca Trail is regulated by the Ministry of Culture, they do not allow changes in the start date nor give reimbursements, once a permit is acquired, they are not resold.
Read our full terms and conditions here.