Max. Altitude2430 m
Type of ToursCultural
Description: Visiting Machu Picchu is an experience you will never forget. The sense of mystery given off by its imposing walls inspire a profound respect for the creators of this Wonder of the Modern World. The Inca Citadel of Machu Picchu is located in the middle of an impressive mountain range at the edge of the high jungle, granting it a unique semi-tropical climate. The combination of high mountains, lush forests, and streams of water everywhere the eye can see will take your breath away.
Type of tour: 2-day excursion by car and train.
Start / end time: Pickup between 10 and 10:30 AM from your hotel lobby, return around 8:30 PM (the following day)
Consideration: bring comfortable walking shoes
Highlights: Guided tour in Machu Picchu (second day).
The tour begins with a pickup from your hotel in Cusco at approx. 10:00 AM, at which point we will drive to the train station found in the town of Ollantaytambo (approx. 2 hours of travel). On the way you can appreciate the views of the Sacred Valley of the Incas, a key stronghold of the Incas that also served as a buffer against incursions by the Antis, a fierce jungle trip that occasionally launched attacks into the highlands. Today the Sacred Valley continues to be a vibrant agricultural region that supplies the city of Cusco with a large proportion of its products, including corn, fruits, and vegetables.
Once we arrive at the train station you will board the 13:00 train to Aguas Calientes. The journey takes approx. 2 hours and is one of the most beautiful routes in the world. It begins in the Sacred Valley and then slowly descends into the high jungle, where the Andes meet the Amazon. Upon arrival there will be someone waiting for you to guide you to your hostel where you will spend the night. You will have the afternoon and evening free to explore the town of Aguas Calientes or visit the thermal springs a 15 minute walk away from the town (entry fee of 10 soles).
Al desembarcar, habrá una persona esperando por ti para conducirte al hostal donde pasaras la noche. Tendrás la tarde libre para poder explorar el Pueblo de Aguas calientes o visitar las aguas termales que se encuentran a 15 minutos de caminata del pueblo (ingreso adicional S/10.00).
Note: For pickup, you will need to book a hotel in the historical city center, as most AirBnB’s don’t have a name and/or lack addresses that can be found easily, and many of them are located far away from the city center. Otherwise we can arrange a specific meeting point.
We will begin our ascent to Machu Picchu very early in the morning (4:30 am) so as to see the sunrise from the Inca city (this moderate hike take approx. 1 hour and 30 minutes). You can also choose to take the bus ($12 each way – not included) and you must take the first bus to be able to arrive at Machu Picchu by 6 am. Once at Machu Picchu your guide will provide you with a guided tour that lasts approx. 2 hours (remember that the guided tour is for the whole group). During this tour you will have opportunities to explore the main sites (Intihuatana, The Sacred Plaza, The Temple of the Sun, The Temple of the Condor), and learn more about the history of this hidden architectural wonder. At the end of the guided tour you will have a couple more hours to explore Machu Picchu at your own pace and really take in the Inca citadel’s unique atmosphere.
If you were able to purchase an entry to Huayna Picchu of Machu Picchu Mountain you will also have the opportunity to scale one of these mountains (remember that availability is limited by the government and the Ministry of Culture. Climbing Huayna Picchu takes 2 hours, and Machu Picchu Mountain requires 3). The time spent at Machu Picchu depends greatly on whether or not you decide to climb one of these mountains. After our time at the citadel we will need to return to Aguas Calientes, where you can eat lunch at a location of your choosing before beginning your return journey. After lunch we will take the 16:22 train (subject to availability) back to Ollantaytambo, where you can once again enjoy the beautiful scenery. Upon arrival in Ollantaytambo our private transportation will be waiting to take you back to Cusco (make sure to check your name is on their list for extra security). If you desire a specific train time, don’t hesitate to contact us.
**If you wish to buy a ticket for entry to Huayna Picchu, we recommend the first group (07:00 AM – 08:00 AM)
- Round trip transportation between Cusco – Ollantaytambo
- Round trip train ticket Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo
- Hostel in Aguas Calientes with a private bathroom, hot water, WIFI, cable TV, and storage for your backpacks while you visit Machu Picchu.
- Optional bus ticket between Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu
- Continental breakfast at your hostel
- Entry ticket to Machu Picchu
- Guided tour of Machu Picchu (approx. 2 hours)
Does not include
- Entrance ticket to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain (additional $20)
- Water and Snacks
- Original passport
- Students: student ID if you wish to obtain the discounted entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
- Light backpack
- Sun glasses
- Sun block
- Insect repellent
- A rain jacket is important, especially in the rainy season (you can also buy a rain poncho)
- Hat for the sun
- Walking shoes
- Extra cash
- The price is based on double occupancy, includes all taxes and fees.
- Individual occupation available at an additional cost.
- Ask us about special discounts for groups if you travel with 3 or more people
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of our reservation.
- This tour begins in Cusco, the hostel / hotel pickup is included for accommodation located in the center of the city of Cusco.
- The tour has no set exits, you can choose your own start date (subject to availability)
- The name, number, expiration and country of the passport are required at the time of reservation for all participants Huayna Picchu /
- Machu Picchu Mountain Hike available at an additional cost.
- $ 20 discount for students with a valid ID card from the university / university You must bring an ID with you on the Inca Trail.
- We take care of all diets, please let us know your diets. Equipment such as trekking poles can be rented at an additional cost.
The Inca Trail is the only tour in Peru that is not reimbursable. Be sure to confirm the correct dates when you make the purchase. As the Inca Trail is regulated by the Ministry of Culture, they do not allow changes in the start date nor give reimbursements, once a permit is acquired, they are not resold.
Read our full terms and conditions here.